Apply now to volunteer for the spring semester! Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on January 9, 2017. See instructions below. Applications for summer positions will be accepted from March 1 – April 16.
Who can volunteer?
- Teens in 7th-12th grade
- Those who can commit to volunteering for at least one semester
- Those who have permission from a parent or guardian
What do volunteers do?
- Prepare craft projects and handouts for kids’ programs
- Straighten up and dust shelves in the Children’s Library
- Help with kids’ events
- Sort book carts alphabetically and numerically
- Work at Summer Reading prize desk
- Assist with other tasks as assigned
When do volunteers work?
- Once per week for about 1.5-2 hours during the spring or fall semesters
- 2-4 times per week during the summer
- Times are based on the availability of volunteers and the needs of the library
Why should I volunteer?
- Earn community service hours
- Learn job skills and values
- Make a difference in your community
- Feel good about yourself
- Make friends and have fun!
How do I apply?
- Print and fill out the volunteer application. Turn in the application at the Children’s Library service desk.
- You will be contacted for an interview if there is a current position available.
- After the interview, accepted volunteers will attend an orientation before starting the position.
Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis. There are a limited number of positions available, and unfortunately we are not able to hire everyone who applies. If you are not accepted the first time you apply, please try again. For other volunteer opportunities, check out information about our Teen Library Advisory Board (TLAB).
Contact Rachael at (785) 320-5367 or ya@MHKLibrary.org